Friday, May 8, 2009

My dogs dew claw got ripped out?

I was playing with my American bulldog today and i guess somehow he ended up getting his dew claw ripped out. Its bleeding quite a bit and he was licking it. I called the vet and they said bring him in, but it would be treated as an emergency and it would probably cost a lot. I was wondering if it is something needed to be treated as an emergency or just something to keep an eye on?
Answers:
Yes, it is considered an emergency. He didn't just break his nail, he tore it to the point where he is bleeding. That is extremely painful, it can cause major problems, and will easily become infected. That is why the vet said to bring him in now. I am not one to say rush a dog to the vet for every single little thing, but this is reasonable and requires vet attention. Go ahead, get him to the vet ASAP.
keep a close eye on it, clean it real well. If it gets infected then you definitly need to see a vet for some antibiotics. otherwise, you can treat it like you would a normal cut.
You absolutely have to bring him into the vet. That is EXTREMELY painful to the dog. He'll be miserable. I personally don't have it in me to tell you to wait until tomorrow or anything..just cutting the nail too low is very bad and painful to the dog. I know that infection could start too...
We run an animal shelter and in a pinch we would bandage it up and let it heal. Keep an eye on it for signs of infection.
I can't see it from here... What does it look like? Does it look like the kind of thing that you can clean up and bandage til it is healed up etc? Or does it look like the kind of thing that needs a couple of stitches??
well i would keep an eye on it cuz suposibly it messes the dog up a little (i don't remember exactly how) but if it swells then take it to the vet and don't let it bleed to much because he could bleed to death (there are blood vains in dogs nail)
He may needs stitches, so clean it the best you can and if you have butterfly strips put that on the cut. Then wrap it tightly but not too tight. Put anything you have in the way of antibiotic cream that you might have before you wrap his leg. If you can't stop the bleeding get his to the vet ASAP. Keep a good eye on him as well. The best is to get him to the vet! Good luck;^)
If it is bleeding that bad you better take him to the vet oor he could lose too much blood. That is worse than clipping a nail too close. They can put something on it to stop the bleeding. If you shave and have that stuff that you use to stop bleeding of a cut try putting it on the toe to stop it till you can do something ( septic) I had to think of the stuff. I have the stuff you use for an over clipped nail to stop the bleeding. It is about the same. Put some ice on it and it may slow it down. You are asking on here and meanwhile your dod is bleeding. When it comes to my babies I make a way to pay for the vet. Good luck stopping it though it has to hurt.:o(
I am sure if this happened to you it would be a emergency!!
I am sure it hurts like you know WHAT!!!
Try and put some ice on the area that should help with the bleeding and the swelling!!
Get the poor dog to the Vet!! It might need to be put on antibiotics?? It may even have to have stitches?? Take the poor dog tonight if you just have to wait till tomorrow then you need to take the dog first thing in the morning. Don't make the dog have to wait all day to get treated!!!

Good Luck
P.S. The dog is a lot more important. Put the bill on a credit Card!!
If the bleeding stopped then you can just keep an eye on it. Our greyhound loses her dew claw all the time and it bleeds a bit and she licks it and a painful looking stub is left till the claw grows back we have never taken her to the vet for it.
My dog did this three weeks ago - on a Saturday for Pete's sake! Came in from tearing around in the yard and her paw was covered in blood. I was terrified, she didn't seem to care - wasn't limping or anything. I cleaned it up, put on some Neosporin and some gause, applied a pressure bandage and she seemed fine though I knew I'd be taking her to the vet in the morning. She didn't just pull the nail, you could tell she pulled the digit. I thought.. what would I do if I sprained my thumb... I'd wrap it up and go to the Dr. in the morning.

Just keep it clean and wrapped tightly (like an ace bandage pressure) until you can see your vet tomorrow morning.

May I suggest that if you opt to have the dew claw removed, that you have both removed at the same time (my girl had dews on both front feet). That way you never have to worry about her tearing the other, AND you won't have to put them under general anesthesia twice.

Good luck, he'll be fine. Make sure you ask for pain medication post surgery - my girl did NOT tolerate the after pain very well for the first 3 days. She was shaking a lot and even panting. Ask for the pain meds up front so your little one doesn't suffer.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment