Sunday, August 2, 2009

My New Doggy?

I just bought a dog: it's a golden retriever, about 2 years old. He won't lay on my bed with me, and I want him too, haha. How can I get him to jump onto my bed? His name is Thurman, he is so great.
Answers:
I know how much fun it is to sleep with you dog but think of this when other people...ie your significant other start coming around more and sleeping over your dog may not want to give up his spot. I would try just putting a bed on the floor by your bed and train him to sleep in your room by gating off the exit or closing your door. In the long run I think you will be happy he doesn't sleep on your bed. Plus think of this, when my dogs got worms and in the summer with ticks being bad these past few years I have to crate them at night so they won't jump up on the bed. You won't have to do that if he is already trained to sleep on his own pillow, just be sure to have lots of cuddle time with him on the floor durring the day. You will be happy when you have avoided a few tick bites...YUCK!!

But if you are determined, then I would say try some treats, and a cue word like "up up" to tell him it's ok to come up and then lift him onto the bed if he still won't come. Eventually he will get the idea that you want him up on the bed and will start to come up with the command, just like he learns to sit or give paw.

Good luck.
time and treats
maybe his former owners trained him not to be on the furniture and it will prolly be tough to break that habit. but try just putting him on ur bed
I have two goldens and they sleep in my room on their own beds. Since they often like to get up and move around at night, I think in the long run it's better that way. I often find they've swapped beds in the night or gone in the other room to sleep. I like having them close by, but probably better on their own beds given all that activity.
Lay some treats on the bed,then make Thurman happy.He'll learn.
His former owners probably taught him not to jump on the bed or on furniture. So just be patient, show him that its okay that he jumps on your furniture. Use lots of treats, and have a lot of patience. You can buy "doggie steps" so this way he can just walk up a few steps and onto your bed so this way maybe the bed will seem like part of his territory, and not just yours.
Lay some treats/toys on your bed. When he gets on and FINISH the treats. Let him stay there for a while if he last 10 seconds than praise him.

No comments:

Post a Comment