Sunday, August 2, 2009

My new puppy eats her POOP!?

I have a new shih tzu puppy and I have caught her eating her poop three times now! I have read a lot about it and most people say that it is because of bad nutrition. I however feed her science diet puppy small bites at which I believe is the best kind of dog food. She eats very well and never goes hungry. I always leave some out for her so that if she gets hungry it is there. What can I do to get her to stop eatting her poop?
Answers:
Usually it's not the food. Don't put anything IN your dog's food or on the poop. It doesn't work. Some people suggest MSG, which will eat a hole in your dog's stomach. The best thing to do is clean it up ASAP. I would also get her to the vet and get her checked out for worms.

Mine are on premium diets and extremely healthy. They prefer theirs frozen...
It's just something that puppies do...

Don't let her - When she goes, pick it up and keep the yard clean!
give her a small amount of pineapple in her food,,it works trust me,,,,,
Check the pet store for sprays that make her poop icky to taste. Clean up after your dog.. don't leave the poop wherever it may be.

And letting food out all the time isn't good because most dogs overeat, even if full.
that is a horrible dog food, sorry. It is mostly made of grain and your dog cannot digest grain. Feed her Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul instead!!!! That is a MUCH better food! She may also have worms, so get her wormed.
We have shih-tzus too that do this! There's a couple of great products out there though where you can powder their food so that it makes it taste/smell undesirable when it comes out the other end. They are called Deter and For-Bid and I think they are flavorless when they eat it.

You can also sprinkle garlic on their food, I've read. I'm just not sure about that because I can't see my dogs wanting to eat the garlic in the first place.

Props to you for using Science Diet- my mom works there and we also believe it's the best!
First try puting tobasco sauce on her poop second if it doesnt go away it is called coprophagia and there are pills you can buy at your local pet store that make the poop taste and smell bad to your dog

Most common reason for eating stool is not enough nutrition in the diet they eat the poop to redigest the already broken down nutrients to make them easier for digestion. You can try a multi vitamin!

Stay away from garlic it can be harmful to dogs, just like onion , grapes, and chocolate...they only need or should have the small amount that may be added to their dry food already
eew nasty lol... well whenever you catch her eating it, tell her NO (in a firm voice) and spray some water on her body (from a spray bottle). hopefully it should eventually get her to stop. there are other ways to train dogs, so u could try them, i just can't think of any right now.
good luck ~
i think thats normal for a puppy
I would not feed any of my animals Science Diet! Do some research on the food and you'll find out why.

The dog eats its poop probably because it has a vitamine diffeciency. This is normal in dogs, but you need to feed a better food and make sure the dog isen't exposed to fresh waste.

You can also try something called Deter.

I feed Wellness to my cat and dogs because it has essential vitamines in it.
my dog used to do that if he went in his cage when he was a puppy. I crate trained him. He finallly got over it and stopped. It's just a puppy thing. Science Diet is great food and u arent doing anything wrong. Make sure you pick the poop up out of the yard
when my puppy started eating his poop I put his nose up to the poop and made him sniff it and then I slaped his butt and told him NO BAD DOG.(his name is Dozer)(a American Pit-bull)
Simple solution pick up the poo as she poos. You can use a shovel or a bag to do this. Viola problem solved.

FYI Timber Wolf Organics is great great food. Science Diet is nothing but crap junk food for a dog.
I have 2 dogs and only one of mine does that!!! I heard it was cause of bad nutrition too...I use Eukanuba! I'm in the same boat as you...let me know what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment