Sunday, August 2, 2009

My pit bull 'mounted' a pillow?

he just finished up, do I rub his nose in it and tell him he is a bad dog?
Answers:
no its just natural.
no! if he is an intact male this will happen if there is a stray female dog in the neighborhood who is in heat.your dog has done nothing wrong...
This behavior is very normal. If you don't want to get him fixed you should consider using him for stud service. He won't worry about humping pillows anymore. lol
My Rat Terrier does that to a teddy bear all the time. It's his teddy bear so I don't care. He's not hurting anything or anyone so what's the harm in letting him have his fun. Just wash the pillow and have it ready for him next time! That's what I do with my dog's "love-bear."

P.S. My dog is neutered too! The vet told me this was perfectly normal even for a neutered male (you should have seen how embarrassed I was to ask the vet this).
Its common for male and also dominant female dogs to mount alot of things. Its caused by fustration and not always sexual fustration. If you dog isnt fixed it can be because that a dog in the neighborhood is in heat and hes fustrated. If its already fixed its probably fustrated because of something in the house is out of order.
I hope your kidding about rubbing its face in it. Everytime you touch yourself should your parents or someone rub your face in it? I wish people would stop suggesting the rubb the nose in stuff. It solves nothing and only gets body fluids, poops, and all other sort of nastys go into the nasal passages and very likely can cause an infection in the dogs sinuses. So DO NOT rub its nose, and humping is not a train or un trained behavior. Take the dog out for extra runs and exercise, pay more attention to it, and get it fixed if it isnt. That will stop the pillow humping POSSIBLY. I have a 6 year old male thats not fixed and he still humps my slippers, pillows, and stuffed animals and he did it from the time he was 8 months. I look the other way till he's done, and then wash them. Thats how I deal with it. besides it makes him nice and tired and I dont have to walk him as much!
yes, if you do not correct him who will?
I think you need to curl up with your "favorite" pillow.
You might want to use a different pillow to lay your head on.
Humping is a natural thing that male and female dogs both do. Sometimes even if they are spayed or neutered they do this. When I first brought my dog home and he did this after being neutered I thought for sure the vet did something wrong so I asked the vet. He told me some dogs have higher levels of hormones and will sometimes still do this even if they have been fixed (neutered). It is also a dominance thing in many cases and is not a sexual thing at all. Do not worry. Get him some toys and hopefully he will use them like my dog does instead of your pillow and be thankful he's not trying to use people's legs.
As many people have mentioned above, it might help to neuter him, if he's not already. Also, as has been said, it is not necessarily, but also a dominance thing.
And please don't rub his nose in it or anything else - it's futile and destructive. Do however tell him "No" and take his pillow away. If you let him go at it, it will be harder to get him out of the habit, and even if it is only 'his' pillow or 'his' teddy, next time, it might be your pillow or the girl girl next door's teddy. Better to be consistent and teach him that he is not allowed to hump any household objects (or family members)
No. He'd like that. My cat pisses on everything (in the house) and we've tried rubbing his nose in it, and he ended up just smelling it.

Soo.I would...neuture him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment