Sunday, August 2, 2009

My old guy?

So, my 15 (or older) chihuahua that I rescued 10 years ago is starting to go downhill, Im afraid. When I feed him I separate him from all the other dogs because he eats soft food for becasue he hardly has any teeth (he was like that when I adopted him) He usually is a slow eater but I bring over one dog and out of fear that the other might eat his food he gobbles it up. Now, just recently, he has started laying next to his food growling like crazy and not eating hardly. I can barelly get him to eat over half of his meal. Is there something wrong? I know it is not physical because he recently got checked out. I think he might be losing his mind. I love him sooooo much but I am afraid at how old he is.
Answers:
At 15 or more years of age, I'm afraid your old pal is coming to the end of his road.

What does your vet have to say about his general condition?

Do all you can to make his last days comfortable, and when the time comes, try not to be too selfish. Let the old fellow walk off the stage with a little dignity intact. Don't make him suffer because you don't have the heart to show mercy.

Twice in the past 7 years I've had to hold a dear friend as the vet ended their suffering. Their ashes are sitting at the head of my bed. So I have an idea how you are feeling.

Doc
wow 10 years! i used to have a chihuahua. that was 6 years ago when i lived in Vietnam. i loved him so much. i raised him from the time he was born until i had to go to America. he was about 1 year somthing. one of the most amazing things about him was, he kept waiting before my room's door after i left, thinking that one day i'll come out of the room and play with him; he didnt eat for a week or so. about a few months after i moved, he died of sickness. there was no medical checkup or special medicine or food care for dogs there. so most of the dogs die pretty early. 10 years for a best friend like that sound really amazing to me.
Okay, you are gonna hate me for my answer, but our chihuahua was 13 when he passed away. He was getting very gray, and you could tell he had arthritis, but other than that he was fine. Some days he would run around like a puppy even. Then one day he just couldn't get out of his bed, and then vomited blood all over the place. We took him in and had him put down. What I'm trying to say is, spend as much time with your dog as possible, cause the end may be very near. And gobbling down his food won't be good for him, so just let him eat at his own pace and don't let any of the others come near him. If he thinks he has to protect his food, he is gonna spend all his energy on doing that, instead of feeling safe and relaxed and eating it. Best of wishes.
dogs do loose there minds as they get older just like humans but i think allot of that has to do with another dog coming into the home, and 15 is pretty old for a dog...

but not all vets are good just like not all human doctors are good you might want to get a second opinion from another vet just to be sure every thing is all well

as far as I can see dr. phil is a dr. also
You need to put the old fellow in a nice quiet room all by himself so he can eat peacefully. He sounds very stressed out, as well. How do the other dogs treat him when it's not feeding time? Keep an eye on him and if they are being harsh towards him, you might need to find him a home where he can live out his last days peacefully.
try feeding him in another room where you can shut the door,
your dog might be just getting aggresive over fear that someone or another animal will still it's food. The Life Expectancy About 15 or more years.(www.dogbreedinfo.com)
But as long as any dog gets taken care of properly they can live alot longer.
Hope this Helped, Best of Luck.
Old age can do that to a dog,But you dont never know what is wrong until he goes to a vet again.I would call the vet to have him looked at and run tests.Good luck with him I know how much he means to you.
It sounds to me as though he may be finding it hard to eat his food, but fearful other dogs will get to it...and thus he growls. He eats when the other dogs are around because in dogdom..it's survival of the fittest (or the one who gets...and keeps...the most food) Thus having other dogs around "motivates" him to eat. Case in point...my newfie mix %26 shepherd eat seperate, she usually grabs a few mouthfuls and wanders away.as soon as the shepherd walks into her area.all the sudden she's got an appitite again and goes running back to her bowl. But your dog may be reaching a point he cannot intake the amount of food he once could.but he doesn't want it to fall into "waiting mouths" either.so he guards it instead.

I'm sure you already feed him several small meals a day.but I would try breaking them down even further if you can. If you feed him 2-3 times a day.try breaking it up into 4-6 times a day in smaller portions and see if this helps.
Try to find some place to isolate him to while he eats.You might try changing his diet.Try some regular people food and see how he does.I wish you both all the best

No comments:

Post a Comment