Sunday, August 2, 2009

My one year old Chihuahua hacks and gags alot, what is this.?

He does this at different times. Sometimes he throws up flem or foam. Then he is ok. I am taking him to the vet but was wanting some feed back.
Answers:
It could be a collapsed trachea and it could be allergic to the food, have u tried another food? my pup did this, foam %26 all, when I changed her food to what is a better quality food, yet not right for her. (took her to vet) put her back on old food and it stopped. researched quality foods and found a couple to try and slowly tried switching again, this time, no hacking/throwing up. Sounds like an allergic reaction. my daughter has two toy size dogs, both do have a collapsed trachea, neither make these noises or throw up their food.
I say just throw the dog off a cliff and go get another.
My Chihuahua does the same thing.You see there throat is small and if the get food in it it starts to gag you can always rub it's throat and that will stop it.
I could be a condition called "collapse trachea" which is common in many toy breeds. Make sure he goes to the vet.
Could be allergies or worms. Also have him checked for heart worm.if you have borded him lately it could also be kennel cough, best to let the vet check him. You may want to take a stool sample in with you and have him checked for worms...and also have a heartworm check done

No comments:

Post a Comment