Sunday, August 2, 2009

My pekingese (3 years old) has begun drooling over the past couple of days.?

I live in SC and the weather has recently soared into the high 80s. My air condition in my house is not working properly either. Is my baby just really hot and trying to cool down or is something really wrong with her? Please help!
Answers:
My Peke's do that from time to time. I have 2 females and 1 male, and when one of the girls are in heat, my male never stops drooling. They all do it in the summer too, usually when it is hot. I have also known them to drool when they were constipated. It might not be a bad thing, but you should probably take the baby to the vet! At least call your vet and see what they have to say. Good luck!
She *might* be having seizures. Have you changed the cleaning products in your home recently, or have they sprayed the trees near your home recently? This may be a reaction to chemicals. A vet visit is, of course, in order.
If heat related Draping her with a wet towel just do not let it dry or it sould retain more heat, you could also use a large empty plastic pop bottle fill with water and freeze , wrap in a towel and lay it next to her to help cool her.

Excess drooling could also be a result of bad teeth, in certain breeds teeth problems are common if you can take a look at her mouth red swollen gums/bad breath could indicate a need to see the vet for a dental, it probably would not be a bad idea just to have her checked out by the vet anyway just to be sure there is nothing else going on, as extreme panting could be a sign of pain as well, even if it proves to be just heat related it would at least ease your mind knowing all is well

No comments:

Post a Comment