Friday, May 21, 2010

My POOR DOG! What is an over-the-counter ointment for my dog???

My Border Collie's skin is raw and bleeding from a bad groomer. Its like he has bad razor burn.

I need some ointement or something to help him feel better. I know he needs to go to the vet...but what can I do for him right now!

I need name brands...please.
Answers:
go to a feed store, and get a tube of corona ointment. it's a lanolin rich antiseptic...very soothing, and will prevent infection. i'm in calif. and pay about $9.00/large tube. if you can't find it, get some bag balm...it comes in a square green can. sometimes you can get it at walmart. (and the feed store) hope this was helpful. best of luck.
i wouldnt use anything.

this is because, unless you have ointments/medications specifically for dogs, human medication and oils can seriously hurt and/or burn his skin. a dogs skin is NOT the same as human skin!
dont use rubbing alcohol, this will hurt him.

he should be relatively clean as the groomers usually wash the dogs before grooming them.

you could put some non-stick wound dressing on the worst parts, if you have any.

look after him properly and take him to the VET ASAP. send the bill to the groomer.
.
Ask in a good pets store what you can use. I have never heard of this so I have no idea.

If you can prove it was the groomer caused this charge it to her. You may have to take her to court, but she should pay the vet bills.
why did you have the groomer clip the dog so short? yes bag blam will help. clipping the dog short does not make the dog cooler. once you get the dog better get him a plastic kids swimming pool to cool of in. Yes i would take the dog to the vets. you can use baby asprin for pain. look on the bottle for the weight of a child and use the same for your dog.
Last time I was at the Vet with my Rottweiler Uschi and she had a scratch/cut from digging and our Vet said to apply Neosporin. I was shocked. I thought it was only used for humans. She said apply it to the area, but keep an eye on her so that she does not lick it off.

You can try it, but definitely take your dog in if the skin is raw and now it has a wound to deep. Also, knowing what areas the dog scratches at would be helpful too.
SEE YOUR VET!
antibiotic ointment,, any brand,,,, neosporin etc.,,, please report the groomer- and, out of curiosity,, why did your border collie need to have anything other than a bath?? borders just need good brushing ,, why the clippers?
You have to take him to the vet, and till you do that there are some steps.
1. give him a shower without using soup, and while doing so apply some ditol on the wounds.
2. I do not reccomend to use any oinment but if so then before using any oinment make sure there are no open wounds that it is just skin burns.
3. use some ice or cold water on the wounds.
4. Terimycin is a good mild oinment to use.
Hope he feels better and please select your dogs groomers carefully, my dog spent one night crying of pain cuz the groomer assistant was holding him so hard he hurt his body.
Clean the area well and dry..then simply apply Neosporin. Neosporin is very safe for dogs and cats even if they should lick it. We recommend it's use often at the hospital where I work and I also use it for my own pets. I keep it in my pets first aid kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment