Friday, May 21, 2010

My pound puppy is sad when I leave... and my roomie is squeamish about crating her. Any suggestions or advice?

Two weeks ago, I adopted a fantastic 18 month old mutt from the local humane society. I love her to death. I have lavished her with toys (then put most away so she's not overloaded with the fun), taken her on adventures and hikes, enrolled her in obedience class, and purchased a vet plan for her. I work full-time and leave her alone, which is sad.

The first week we had her, she was very good - except she chewed on my paycheck. This week, she started getting into trash, destroying my shoes, and nibbling on the couch and table. Today I found a shallow pit in my bedroom wall with claw marks on it. I want to help her calm down before she gets hurt or costs me more than a few new pairs of shoes.

My roommate is worried that keeping the dog in a crate all day is inhumane. I take this dog for 2 walks/playtime daily (30+ minutes) - trying to tire her at least once a day.

I know she was abandoned, and I really want to teach her that I won't leave her. I know it'll take time - any advice?
Answers:
Not sure if TV helps, but worth a try. How long are the walks? you said 2 walks/paytime total to 30+ minutes? when are the walks?? you need to tire out your pooch before you leave and I mean really tire her out. I walk my mini corgi 1 hour in the morning before I go to work and 30 minutes after dinner, playtime always come after. If I have time I rather walk the dog than play. play is play - it's not a decent amount of exercise. you can be tired of playing tag, but that's not exactly exercise. try a Kong? the ones where u stuff food inside - you can put peanut butter inside too - dogs love that. Get them accustomed to playing with it when you're at home first so they know what to do with it.
Furthermore, stop thinking about the past that it's sad for her. A dog doesnt care whether it has one toy or a million toys, as long it's part of a stable family, it's happy. If you keep feeling sorry for her, she will pick it up and all sorts of behaviors start to arise.
If you observe any behaviors remotely resembling to what she may do when you are out of the house, correct it, if you do not want to use choke chains, then be assertive, water spray bottles to decrease the behavior may also work.
leave the Tv on. heard it helps. my friend leaves hers on animal planet! lol
I hate leaving my puppy alone too. I don't want to put him in his cage.even though it is full of fluffy pillows and blankets :)

He chews a lot though. I now just keep him in my room when I leave. I make sure nothing is on the floor where he can reach to chew. I close the door...well I close it the whole way, but still enough that if he really really had to get out for some reason he could get it open. He lays on my bed and looks out the window until I come home.
don't give in, kennel train your dog. It may be one of the most important things you do! Put the crate somewhere busy when you are at home (like the living room) and leave it open so that she can go in and out whenever she feels, and always give her a treat when she goes into her kennel. It is more inhumane to let an 18 month old puppy lose around the house when no one is around to moniter her. She could chew through chords and electricute herself, get into bad food or chew your walls or what not. As long as the kennel is not being used as a punishment at any time, then it will eventually become a place of safety. she needs to learn that when she is in her kennel it is sleep time. She will most likely scream and cry, but don't give in. It won't last forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment