Monday, May 24, 2010

My puppy died and I don't know why (he survived parvo 2months ago- there was a lot of wind last week)?

He was almost 7 months old. On Wednesday he started acting "weird": hiding from me, eating less. Next day he was getting better, but on Friday he wouldn't eat nothing at all. He kept drinking water, still. On Saturday, his nose started bleeding, the vet put some shots (vitamin K and other stuff). The bleeding didn't stop and he started throwing out a mix of salive and blood. A second vet couldn't help either. On Sunday, at 2 .m., I suddenly woke up and went to check on him and somehow I knew he was about to die (here we don't have 24-hour ER for dogs) . I stayed with him, telling him we love him, that we'll never forget about him. He went to sleep and, as usual, started snoring. Around 5am, he died. I cried for him, but I'm grateful that I got the chance to say goodbye. My problem is that the vets weren't able to tell me exactly what was going on and there wasnt' time to take him to a third vet. I'm cleaning everything with bleach but I'm still worried about my other dogs. Any ideas???
Answers:
It sounds like your dog got into some rat poison. It makes there blood thin and they bleed internally. If your other dogs are acting normal and they aren't having any of the other dogs symptoms they are probably fine. If your questioning whether they need to be seen it's probably a good thing to bring them in just to make sure. I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. If I were you I would switch vet clinics too. It sounds like they didn't do enough to get you any answers. They should have done blood work and a bunch of other tests. Good luck to you and your dogs.
Is there any chance that he came in contact with rat or mouse poison? Rat and mouse poisons destroy the clotting factor in the blood causing the animal ingesting it to bleed to death. Your vet gave him Vitamin K because Vitamin K restores the clotting factor in the blood, however if an animal ingests rat or mouse poison, and enough time lapses to allow the animal to begin showing signs (bleeding out through the nose, anus, ears, or vomiting blood) then administering Vitamin K alone will not help. When an animal gets to this point, a blood transfusion is necessary, but not always effective either. Sometimes the damage done is too extensive to correct and the anima will die. I am so sorry for your loss.
J. Smith, Animal Control Officer
Any possibility that your dog accessed rat bait/poison about a week before this started? What you describe is the classic process of anti-coagulant poisoning, which in the advanced stages is nearly impossible to reverse.

If you're worried, have a coagulation profile run on your other dogs, to make sure that if they were poisoned as well, that you can catch it early and reverse the effects.
First, let me say how sorry I am for your loss.

A vet should be able to do an autopsy on him to see if they can find out the cause of why he died. Being as you have other animals, and since your pup had parvo, it might be in your best interest to see if they can confirm or rule out that is what he passed from.

Prayers to you..
So sorry to hear about your dog.

Unfortunately, the only way you'll get a definitive answer is through a necropsy (autopsy) on your dog. If that is still possible, it would probably be worth it, with your other dogs in the house.

Could be that -- although he did survive -- the Parvo trashed his immune system and whatever virus he caught was just too much for him. If this is the case, then your other, stronger dogs will probably be okay.

But I would really look into a necropsy to be safe.
i am sorry for your lose.i think you vets should have detected it if he was ill for three days as you said .as you have seen the signs like hidding dogs do that when they are sick. are you feeding the same food to the other dogs it migth be its diet. i suggest you take your dogs to a different vet.
I would have a necropsy(autopsy) done on the dog to find out why he died. It does sound like some kind of poisoning rather than parvo. I am so sorry for your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment