Monday, May 24, 2010

My puppy died and I feel as if I've lost a child..?

Yesterday, my beloved Corgi puppy, Jake, was hit by a car in the driveway.. he was sleeping under the car and the person who moved their car did not see him. I can't help but feel angry, sad, and confused.. I just keep saying "what if someone had looked for him", "what if they hadn't moved their car", "what if i had been there".. i feel guilty. and depressed. i can't eat or sleep.. i feel numb and empty.. i don't even know what to do with myself.

:(
Answers:
I empathize. I lost a cat and grieved for a long while. It is very hard losing a pet.

My suggestion is to get busy doing things. The more you engage your mind on other things, the less depressed you will feel. I know it is hard to get started doing anything when you feel so bad, but if you will make yourself do it.. I think you'll feel better in no time.

Also, don't feel guilty. Pets end up doing things to get themselves hurt all the time. We can do everything possible to protect them, but, in the end, there is NO way to prevent everything that could go wrong. We just have to enjoy them while we have them, do the best we can to give them a good life and know that we are just doing the best that we can in an imperfect world.

Chin up... you're a good pet-owner. Don't beat yourself up.
just give it some time...if you feal lost...go get a new dog! sorry this happened!!!
Why was the puppy under the car and not been looked after?
Anyway, move on, what's done is done.
You need to grieve as if he was your child. In my opinion, my pets are my children! Cry, get angry, allow yourself to be sad. You can't be guilty and that is easier said than done but it was an accident. You can ask yourself 'what ifs' all day but it's not going to make you feel better. It does hurt, time will make things better but the hurt won't go away entirely. Remember the good times you had with him. Talk with someone about it...an understanding friend or maybe a counselor. To others this may sound crazy, but he was important to you. Cry...it does help. But also talk to someone. I know in some areas there are people/groups who specifically deal in pet grief. Contact one of them...

I am sorry for your loss...
I am so sorry. This really hurts, I know. All of my dogs that have died, died of old age. The pain does get better in time.
What to do next is going to be up to you, get another puppy right away and channel you pain into affection with the new one?

Don't get another one for a while and let the pain stew?

I always got a new one within a month. I give myself time to recover from the loss, but personally looking at the empty dish kills me inside.

Can I pray for you?
watch TV (not animal planet) eat ice cream and if you already smoke go ahead and do so (if you don't don't start) don't think too much about it it will take its time good luck
Sorry for your loss. This is why people should have fenced in yards for their pets. They need protection and they rely on us to provide it. When we don't, they die.
I totally understand babes we lost our cat on boxing day last year he was called Jack only had over a year, he was loved dearly by us all, it was Joy riders who killed him. All I can say is give it time we still miss him now but life goes on and we just saved 2 cats from a rescue shelter about 3 week ago. At least we turned something awful into something good as they are 4 year old brothers and no one wanted them.
So sorry for your loss though, give your self as much grieving as needed and it was not your fault put it down to a freak accident, hope you are able to move on soon good luck :)
As for the comment on fencing pets in we did but sometimes they dig out or find a way, do not blame yourself :)
i am so so so sorry! ;(. 2Years ago i had 2 dogs die in one year. it was deveastating!!! I cried all the time. The best thing to do is judt to try to hold yourself together, and do thngs to keep your mind off of him. Maybe, not right away, you could get another corgi. Not to replace jake, but to help the pain.
I am so sorry.
This does really hurt, I know that my dogs that have died, died of old age. The pain will get better in time.
Why was your puppy under the car then??? im so sorry that your dog died! try to confience your mom to take you to get a new dog!

good luck!

Hope you get a new dog!
Poor you! I have only lost one dog in my life, but it was older. I felt horrible! Try distracting yourself by doing something like taking up knitting, cooking, or go out with some friends. I know it is hard to forget about a dog. My dog died 2 1/2 years ago and I still cry sometimes. You can also make yourself feel better by getting another dog. Good Luck1
Your hurt is real and painful. Your not going to forget a beloved pet in a couple of days. Allow yourself to morn for as long as it takes. When your ready go to the pound and get another puppy that will die if you don't show up. You'll feel better having another dog in your life.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rai...
Yup, that's about what it feels like. And you think that you will never get another dog cause the hurt when they are gone is way too much.. You will never love another dog like you loved that one.. But before you know it, some little bugger will wiggle into your heart.

And you can't believe how much you love him, and that you think he is the most beautiful dog in the entire world, and no one has one just like him anywhere, and that you communicate like no one else communicates with their dog and you have a connection above and beyond anyone elses... and you forget that you loved one this much before. And you are hooked again...
AND then you are even more careful about where he is and who he is with and what's going on and you vow to keep him safe forever cause you never ever want to allow another dog to get hurt again cause you weren't watching him... Death is a little easier to take, and get over if you aren't filled with guilt over what you did or didn't do..
Hey you just need a good hug and for someone to tell you it is NOT your fault. I have 2 boxers and they are like my children. It is very normal to grieve for them like you would a child, because they are your children. And if it is any consulation to you..they do go to heaven and you will see them one day. Get the book Sylvia Brown and her son wrote about animals that pass on. I am sure Border's or Walden's or any book store can give you the name and order it for you. My deepest sympathies to you hon.and know your dog is now smiling down on you!!!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I know that it is hard right now, but, trust me, it will get easier. At one point, you will be able to look back fondly on Jake, and remember all the good times you had with him. It's natural to grieve, and you will in your own way. Again, there's nothing I can say to make you feel better right now.

Oh, and please try to ignore the one or two really insensitive posters who think they are perfect pet owners. You don't deserved to be criticized right now.
I am truly sorry to hear of your loss, and I know your pain. A couple years ago my brother accidently ran over my small dog in the driveway. I was not home and my other brother's let her out., she went under the car and my brother did not see her. I too was devastated, angry, sad and just plain heartbroken. I did the same thing I should have been home because that never would have happened, why did they not see her, why did they not bring her in? I cried for days, did not eat, did not sleep. Time made it easier, it did not take away all the pain but the sting slowly went away. And eventually I got a new dog which filled the hole in my heart. Give yourself time, give yourself time to cry, you are grieving and have every right to.
i have an german shepard mix she was buried 2 days ago she would of been 10 years old in sept. so i know what you are going through i try not to cry when i think of her because i know she is in a better place in doggie heaven and one day we will meet again along with all the other animals i have had it hepls some the dog i had before her died 8 yrs ago and then last year i rescued another one not realiseing that maybe god planned it that way i will always miss gi gi and all the other pets i have had i don't think it gets any easier dealing with the pain i still have one dog and 9 cats to go and made the decision i am done with owning any more animals i have lost 12 dogs 4 cats over an 16 year peroid one time i lost 6 puppies in a week they were 6mos old every one of my aminals i had didn't want to go they held on for as long as they could every time i lost one i think of the others it's like an repeat of all the hurt when you are ready you will find another pet it could take a long time to deal with
I am so very sorry about your little puppy.Unfortunalety puppys and other anamals will go to places they shoudnt.The person who did it must be feeling awfull too..A friend of mine did the same thing ,she was a pathologist in a local hospital ,and she was called to the hospital for an emercency one night.She got into her car and didnt think that her kitten was in the drive ,and she drove over her ,and killed her.Since then she has sufferd deppression.Please dont let it go that far .Time heals ,belive me.God Bless.
i am very sorry for your loss !! don't blame yourself,you said yourself,that you were not around. it was a tragic accident,i feel for you.
Forget the people who critcize you, this was an accident and a really sad one at that! I am really sorry about your puppy I don't even know what I would do if I lost my dog, he really is like a child to me. Anyway, hang in there and remember that this was NOT your fault. Things will get better.
Just like losing a human love one, losing a beloved pet takes time to grief. You will go through the process of grieving for your pet; I don't remember how many steps there are in grieving. And--it doesn't matter how long you have the pet; you still grief for them just the same.

Go ahead grief for your beloved pet. I know how you feel. I had my Miniature Schnauzer, Duchess, for 15 years and lost her to old age. It was like losing my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. Today a small puppy was there under my car, and unknowingly I have started and backed my car which made the car run on it and he died on the spot..for which I'm crying like hell..I coudn't do anything..GOD please forgive me...and please all the pets and puppies in this world..

    I can feel the pain..as you are ..I have no words to shre yourpain..but just to pray for the departed soul.. and for sure I will want to see him in the HEAVEN once we are all there

    ReplyDelete