Monday, May 24, 2010

My puppy has parvo and pooped and threw up on my carpet. Please read and any help will be appreciated!?

My puppy was diagnosed with parvo a few days ago. We decided to do an outpatient treatment for her. She is showing signs of getting better (thank you Jesus) and we can focus on recovery a lot easier. She was misdiagnosed for the first 2 days of throwing up and diarrehea. (Vet thought it was from the corn dog she ate the night before). Anyway, since she is still a puppy and hasn't perfected her vomit and bowel control (but then again who can control those urges?) there are spots all over our carpet. The vet said that the virus itself can remain live for anywhere from 3 months to 2 years if left alone. Bleach is the only thing that will kill it. So... what should I use to steam clean my carpets? The vet said it is very very unlikely that she will reinfect herself, but I have friends and family who have dogs and I don't want to be a bad pet owner and not care about spreading germs. We plan to clean it after she is fully recovered, so we don't have to do it twice. Thank you so much!!
Answers:
There are other products which also kill the parvovirus. You'll just have to test to see if they hurt your carpet. One is called "Parvosol." You may be able to get them from vet sites like Doc Fosters. There are other cleaners, "quat" type cleaners that can kill the virus as well. Find a vet industry cleaner. Call around to other vets to see what products they recommend. Cleaners you buy from the store and non-chlorine bleach will do nothing to kill the virus. But because it's carpet, you may not be able to clean it 100% anyway.

Try to keep the puppy in a hard floor area which you can bleach until it gets better.

With your dog in the future, and any visiting dogs, having the full set of puppy parvo vaccines and annual boosters is the best protection.
I would tear the carpets out.. If you have other dogs that come over, or ever want to buy another dog in the future, you want that virus gone.. If your dog has a weak immune system, it is possible for her to get parvo again. I say dump the carpets, and then you can really clean the floor.. Then if it happens in the future, you don't need to worry about bleaching carpets ..
You should use Nature's miracle mixed with non-chlorine bleach.
I'm surprised they are doing outpatient treatment. I must say I have never heard of it. Bringing the dog back while it's still sick will keep reintroducing the virus to the home. It's normal to do inpatient treatment to do IV fluid treatments which would be very difficult to do at home as they are usually dehydrated.

Bleach is what is normally recommended for cleanup. Don;t bother with scrubbing food and water bowls. Throw them away and get new. Also throw away any and all beds and bedding. Parvo can live for a long time especially in feces.
Steam cleaners will not kill the virus. The water does not get hot enough, and bleach will more than likely ruin the carpet.

Even while she is getting treatment, the virus is still detrimental to her. Get her out of the house and in quarantine or remove the carpet.

1 comment:

  1. I had 2 puppies, one could not make it thru the parvo, he was so bad. Several days later, my other younger puppy got very ill, with the same symptoms Tank, (puppy that could not beat parvo), for some reason she beat it. Thank God! And now she is doing very well.
    I just want to know if she can get it again? We still live in same house, no I have not tore out the carpet. I bleached everything possible.....not the carpet, or my truck where Tank had some severe accidents on the way to er vet.
    Im worried she will get sick again.
    Also, if I were to get another dog will he/she get sick?

    ReplyDelete