Friday, May 21, 2010

My puppy chews on everything how can i get him to stop?

we have bought all kinds of chewy toys and raw hides but him seems to want to chew on the things he is not suposed to.
Answers:
Chewing is a natural stage for a puppy, and being a puppy he would want to chew on everything...its fun to him! You just have to be consistent and switch out whatever he isn't supposed to be chewing on for something that he is able to chew on. With time he will learn, but only if you're consistent in training him. You can also purchase "bitter apple" or its like from the pet store. It has a bitter taste and will deter them from chewing on things that they aren't supposed to chew on once it is applied to the item being chewed.
Get a muzzle.
Beat him gently with a lead pipe everytime he starts chewing. My dog hasn't touched anything with his mouth since I started this new training technique.
Spray him/her with Water
Put away anything he's not allowed to chew on. Keep him crated when you can't ensure his safety.
It's not his fault, he's a puppy and puppies CHEW !!! It's up to you to provide a safe home for him and proper supervision and quality chew toys. NO RAWHIDE !!!
if he doesnt listen make sure you take the item you dont want him chewing on away and say in a stern voice "no!"
they will learn that its bad to do that.
get a spray called bitter apple, it works great and tastes nasty to them. just spray it, and he'll go away and not chew w/e it is.
We have the same problem. I know this is going to sound kind of mean but we bought the invisible fence because we don't have a fenced in yard. It came with a training remote as well that when they do something bad you push a button and it zaps him a little. (i know sounds mean) It really works though. I have had 4 people tell me the same thing that it also worked for them and that is why I broke down and got one. Plus, our dog is very hyper and likes to jump and bite a lot at people and it has helped in that area too! Hope this helps!
I had the same problem when I first got my puppy. He actually ate my phone. Anyways, I went to the pet-store and told them my situation and they gave me this big frozen piece of bone with some meat on it. I believe it was a hoof. I put it in front of him and he started chewing on that. It took him almost a whole week to chew it until it was gone. Now, all he chews is bones and his toys but not my stuff.
A firm, loud no to get his attention and then give him something he can chew on, have a little play with him to encourage the right chewing will eventually work (you have to catch him in the act though otherwise he will not understand the chastisement).
there is no chew stuff you can spray on things u dont want chewed
Crate training is the way to go but make sure he has plenty of toys because he's a puppy and needs to chew (possibly teething).
When my eight and a half year old was a puppy, she chewed through half of each of my two couches while I was at work one day. She was crate trained after that.
Listen to Kimmie! Crate and Baby Gate. That's what it's all about. Don't let the puppy out of your site until it's around 18 months. Gently correct him when he does something wrong. If you need to cook dinner and can't watch every move the puppy makes for even 5 minutes, crate him. You're not being mean...And for God's sake- NO RAWHIDE! Nylabones, and raw meaty bones from the butcher. NO COOKED BONES either. They can splinter and cause severe internal damage. Good Luck!
try to say no every time your puppy chews on something you don't want him/her to have. give the puppy many toys and proper things to chew on and play with himm/her on the floor with the chew toys
the best way to get him to stop is everytime that you catch him, pick him up and tell him NO, and then give him a toy that he is allow to chew on. it takes only about a week of doing this consistently and he will get the drift. thats how i did it with my puppy.
Its kind of hard to answer this because I'm not sure how old your puppy is?? 4 to 5 months? They need alot of one on one. They are very easy to train start slow. You need to play ball with them, take them for a walk twice a day. again start slow. Again I don't know the age so your best bet would to be get a dog training book. If you don't have the time to send with the puppy they get frustrated and chew on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment