Monday, May 24, 2010

My puppy has a pink stripe that runs down her black nose.?

my pup is 6 months old and after 12 weeks old i noticed that she was starting to loose pigment in her nose, its pink and black. The vets told me to keep an eye on it, its not getting worse it seems to have stopped loosing pigment, is this anything to worry about?
Answers:
One of my dachchunds (the double dapple, Beethoven) has a pink spot over each nostril. The center of his nose is black. Looks kinda neat actually!
Three Harlequin Great Danes I know at work (doggie daycare) also have pink spots/stripes on their noses.
Granted, all 4 dogs in question have large areas of white on their bodies, so that accounts for the pink on the noses. Does your dog have any white on it?
Another of my dachchunds, Samson, had a totally black nose as a pup and then it started leaching the black out - it almost appeared that the black was painted on and now wearing off, with pinky-liver-color underneath. Someone on a dachshund yahoo group suggested that I change his water bowl from plastic to stainless steel or ceramic. I did so and his nose turned black again, took about 6 months to revert but it is shiny black to this day. Never did figure out why that worked but hey you might try it!
I wouldn't worry too much. It also depends on the breed she is some dogs have pink and black noses and sometimes it takes a few months to start noticing the pink. We had a Boxer who did that and he lived to be 12.
Not unless you want to show her.

It's called vitiligo by the way.

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/diseases/dermato...

I know a pit who has it, who was almost killed because her nose was pink and not black. It doesn't affect her health, but she was in a line of show pits, and it's discouraged.
I don't think that it is a problem. One of my dogs has a pink stripe on her nose to.
I wouldn't worry but I would talk to yur vet about a safe sunscreen product to use on that area as it will burn easily...smile
Your vet is the best person to acvise because they can see your dogs nose! The nose is black because of pigment in the skin. If the colour changes that could be because of an injury or a skin problem, as long as the change is just the colour and the skin hasn't altered (not suddenly rough, crusty, bumpy or weepy) then it should be ok. If the skin looks different or it keeps changing then take your pup back to the vets.
Its the same as keeping an eye on a wart or mole on your own skin.
Hi I had this with one of my boys when he was a pup although he is 3 1/2 now. His nose was black when I got him and started to go a pinky colour. When I spoke to a breeder about it she told me it was all to do the the breeding. There is no problem with his nose except it is pink and his brothers noses are black.
do what your vets suggested go back to him and ask the proffessioinal what he thinks, its the best and most relable answer your gonna get!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment