Friday, May 21, 2010

My pug has luxated patella?

He has to have surgery. Vet says hes a good canidate since he is two and in good health. I just want to know how much it will cost and how much rehab time it will take?
Answers:
I would get a second opinion from another vet. It's very expensive.
I think that surgery is around $1000? It's a knee surgery so it's not going to be cheap, and recovery will take awhile. I don't think it will be too long before your dog can walk again, etc., but he/she should avoid strenuous activity.


Also, re: the person below.
Luxating patellas will get worse over time, and will eventually result in a more damaged knee which will equal more money (on the owner's part) and more pain (on the dog's part). Best to get it fixed now while he's young and can still handle the surgery.
A fortune and if he is not in pain and is walking it is something I would stay away from. Now don't get me wrong if he can't walk well and is in pain than go ahead and do it, but this knee replacement craze that is going on is very costly and often crazy in that it causes more pain than is being avoided and not much more agility.

This is a case by case issue though. Luxating patella's or slipped stifels are very common. Not only are they common in dogs but people. Have you noticed the commercials for knee replacements for women on TV recently? I wonder how many human women had knee replacement surgery 40 years ago and how many women suffered more then (30 years ago) than they are now after surgery. Is this knee replacement idea because it is needed or because some medical manufacturer is pushing a new product to have surgically implanted?

I am not saying that there are no people wh are happier and better off after surgery. What I am saying is that if that many needed the surgery to warrent TV commercials for knee replacement impants that were just for one gender, that would be a lot of people. I don't think it is that common in humans, although it is very common in dogs. It seems to me that it is simply the latest fashionable surgery even when not as needed as should be.
That is why I would make the call based on how much pain, if any, you are seeing, and how agile the dog is now. Is the dog limping? Does it run, is it in pain? Etc.

A luxating Patella may or may not become painful or get worse over time. I ought to know having been in a breed 20 year that has an enormous amount of them. Further, simply because someone might or is even likley to develop a problem say prostate cancer, is no reason to surgically reduce the size of the prostate until after it happens.
Why you might ask:
a) it may never happen
b) surgery always carries its own risks
c) in an animal's case we have no way of know if the animal will live long enough for something that 'might' get worse to get worse
d) Unless the animal is in pain surgery is not benefiting anything
e) the surgery will cause pain
f) the patella is not life threatening
g) without pain present the surgery is accomplishing nothing beneficial
h) When the animal is in pain the surgery can be done and it will at least have purpose
I can tell you that it takes about 30 days to recover but on the price it really depends on the vet!!
My pug is 5 and has luxated patella and my vet told me unless it is giving him trouble dont mess with it. They can go thier whole life without having complications from this.
*take some advice from someone who actually has a dog w/ patellar luxation who has had the surgery

my papillon has undergone the surgery
*they need to do one leg/knee at a time
my vet said it could take months for a leg to fully recover
my papillon had her 1st surgery done in mid january and she's running around so my vet said her 2nd surgery can be done in may. so it took about 4 months for her 1 leg to recover

A TIP (my vet asked which leg was worse, they do the surgery on the one that has the worst luxation so the stronger leg can support)


here is what you need to find out or research:

1)what is you dogs patellar luxation grade? ask your vet (check the link)

2)ask for estimates, get second opinion estimates too
($1,300-1,600) it is not cheap that's why it's always good to have pet insurance BUT TRUST ME, IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG, IT IS SO WORTH IT
Should be around $1000 or so but it depends on the area you live in.
The recoup time is a few weeks up to eight or so. Depends on the dog. They need to be kept fairly quite durring the recovery and not jumping and running.
I have a client who has had her dog done twice once on each side. It was very successful.
This is why so many people tell people to spay or neuter their pets. The elbow luxating can be a genetically passed on trait.

No comments:

Post a Comment