Friday, May 21, 2010

My pug is shedding everyone, what can I do?

I have a one year old male pug, and he shed horribly..even my vet said he was shedding more than normal, he gave me some stuff to put in his food...that didn't work . Is there anything I can do to control his shedding better, I realize this is something you can't stop, shedding is normal...but he is shedding so bad...please help??
Answers:
Tis the season, spring and summer most dogs shed a lot. I don't know what your Vet gave you, but you could try some supplements that might help a bit, like Oil capsules for dogs, Brewer's yeast and a dog food without wheat, corn or soy *or rice protein concentrate*. Also, try getting a furminator comb and taking your dog outside and comb away. You will get a lot of hair off, but you will have to do this at least a few times a week. When you bathe him, you can also get a bathing glove to massage him with and it helps remove loose hair.
It may be a nutritional issue. Hair is the first to go with malnutrition. If his skin is drier than normal as well, I would switch to a higher quality food.
Other than that, I don't know of anything else that would cause that without rashes and other visible issues.
The best thing is to get it all over with at one time. Give your dog a bath in warm water. Be sure to rinse out all the soap. Brush him everyday for a week and the majority will be gone.
Step 1- go to pet store
Step 2- buy a wire comb
brush
Step 3- go home
Step 4- brush dog 2 times a day
AND WALLAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment