Monday, May 24, 2010

My puppy had some eggs?

My American Eskimo puppy (14 wks. old) had some scrabbled eggs this morning ... I thought it would be ok, since what I googled stated ... as long as the eggs are not raw. Well, he has had diahrrea a few times today and vomited several times as well (undigested egg). He appears to be feeling much better now, as he's running around playing and trying to eat his dry dog food. Can I let him eat the dry dog food? Can I give him some of his most dog food? I just don't know if I should give his little tummy a rest, or let him eat ...
Answers:
Eggs are fine for dogs, I would try feeding him them when he gets older (at least 6 months) Puppies have sensitive tummies. My vet said anytime my dog vomits, I should let their tummy rest, but from personal experience, if they are acting normal, I give them a little bit of food and see how he does. Maybe 1/4 of what you usually give him, see how he does, if he is fine after about a half an hour, then give him more.
If he wants to eat, let him have some of his dry dog food. Dosg often get upset stomachs and get over them again just as quickly.
sometimes dogs get sick from certain foods like i have one dog that can eat steak but the other one gets sick
Poor little guy! I would lay off his regular diet just a bit. Start with water (sounds like he's past that) add some cooked rice and a small amt. of cottage cheese. If he keep this bland food down, and his diarrhea has stopped, you can slowly add his reg. diet back and have him back on it in a couple of days. Of course, should vomiting/diarrhea resume/continue, I would see vet asap. If you find blood or material that looks like coffee grounds, or a greenish-yellow fluid in his vomit, I would take him immediately. Good luck. I know it can be scary when they are so little and unable to express verbally exactly what it is there feeling...Take care. Kami
eggs are ok to give dogs mine LOVE them. sometimes though when ya give a differ food they get tummy ache.eggs are good for them. if ya give again try hard/soft boiled. if ya fried the egg in butter butter could have done it.

if he wants to eat let him...growing pup ya know.
If he wants to eat his regular food I would let him- but no more than normal... He wouldn't eat it if he didn't want it.
I have a dog that cannot eat eggs... he is allergic to chicken... so you might check into that. Dry foods might have chicken in them- but very little and usually not enough to make them sick- but repeated food with it in it over a year or so could start up an allergy problem.
You probably gave your dog a nice dose of pancreatitis by giving it something so rich. Dogs should eat dog food, and only dog food. If you shock their digestive system with food they're not used to you can make them seriously ill. Severe pancreatitis requires hospitalization for several days, and can result in death.

Don't let your dog eat or drink for about 8 hours, if he continues to vomit take him to your veterinarian.
Let him eat if he's hungry.Believe me,dogs WILL NOT eat if they still feel sick.Sounds to me like your baby just ate way too fast,and upset his tummy.Were there spices in the eggs? Just make sure hes drinks his normal amount of water...
I doubt the egg made him vomit but even though they are good for you they can give us diarrhea also (especially with coffee in the morning). In fact I bet there are people who remain regular by eating eggs with their coffee because that is what their bodies are acclimated to. Eggs are a protein and in many dog foods. As a protein it is possible that the puppy has an egg allergy but not likely it is more likely that something else caused the upset stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment