Friday, May 21, 2010

My pregnant shih tzu wont eat?

My Shih Tzu is at day 53 of her pregnancy and i am having a hard time getting her to eat took her to vet last week the vet gave me science diet puppy food told me she would eat it didnt seem real concerned she would not eat that either i have tried every kind of dog food she was eating 1/2 dry 1/2 wet before she went into heat while she was in heat she got pickey put her nose up to everything I finally cooked her some beef liver,chicken,brown rice,carrots and grean beans she liked it at first ate it for the 5 days then wouldnt eat it yesterday or today I am worried she is not getting enough nutrician for her and the puppies they say that she should be eating twice as much food during the last three weeks of pregnancy
Answers:
my Shih-tzu usually delivers on her 58th day, are you sure yours may not be a little further along than you thought? They will usually refuse to eat a day or so before they deliver. Start watching for heavy panting which would mean that she is starting labour. I can usually tell when mine is going to deliver about 12 hrs before she does; she'll start panting, going from one of her beds to the other and she doesn't let me out of her sight, she even gets upset if I leave the house just to take the trash out (she just gives me a look....lol).

Sounds like yours may be getting close, good luck.
Are you sure about the 53 days? Could she further along? As a small breed she may not go to full term. Some dams chocie to not eat when there delivery is very close.
have u tried feeding her pickles?
if u try this site get full information

No comments:

Post a Comment