Thursday, July 30, 2009

My lab sheds all the time. I heard that you can put olive oil in their food,but i don`t know how much to put .


Answers:
You can put 1 teaspoon full every other day. It will not stop the shedding now because all dogs are shedding their winter coats. It will help your dogs skin and coat coming in.
I give mine 2 teaspoons and she's 65 pounds. It has helped but I also brush her all the time.
hey fellow dog owner i have a pincer that sheds all the time too their is nothing you can do about it i also use oil in her food this keeps the coat in great condition and greatly reduces dandruff also great for joints in large dogs especially labs oh and daily brushing outside with a good dog brush also helps
i would do a teaspoon or tablespoon but not any more you dont want your doggie to get the trots
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ON THE NET. THIS IS NOT A QUOTE FROM MYSELF.

High Quality Food Lessens Shedding

I can sympathize with your problem. I have a lovely golden retriever/chow mix and she has lots of hair and has shed a lot in the past. A few months ago at the recommendation of a friend, I switched from her normal dog food to Iams. My vet told me that the "higher quality foods such as Iams" really help cut down on shedding. You can actually see the oils in the food that help to build a healthy and glossy coat. My dog's coat has become absolutely beautiful since changing her food. (used Pedigree previously). The dry food is good, but the canned made a really dramatic difference. The food is a bit more expensive, but is well worth it when you discover some of the fillers and ingredients that are put into lower quality foods. Iams is also available at many grocery stores.

On the other side of the shedding dilemma, I recently purchase a new sweeper. It's a Eureka Whirlwind Bagless. They are advertised on TV as being the best for pet hair and I totally agree. I used to have to vacuum every day. Now twice a week is more than sufficient. The carpets look so much cleaner with this vacuum. It's terrific. Between the food and the vacuum, the sneezing and the dog hair coating on the carpet and furniture has disappeared.
Debbie

Use a Little Olive Oil

Place a tablespoon of olive oil on the top of the dog's food. This was a suggestion given by my vet and works great! It doesn't hurt the dog at all (in fact, they love it!). There is less hair on the couches to vacuum!
Laura

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02ma...
You can't stop a dog from doing it's semi annual shedding through food. If your dog's on a top quality food, you need to brush thoroughly every day until shedding season is over. Putting olive oil on the food is great conditioning for their skin and coat - for a dog as big as a lab you can safely use 1 tablespoon a day. I've used oil (or a salmon oil capsule daily) for my dogs forever and they're coats are in great condition. (They still shed, though!!)
depends on her size. i would call the vet to get their estimate. Word of advice.. olive oil doesn't stop shedding.. it just makes their coat shiny. My best advice for reducing the amount of hair all over your house is to bath him/her every week and brush her at least once a day outside. This is the time of year for dogs to shed. My chi is shedding like crazy but by brushing him and giving him baths it reduces the amount around the house
Corn and wheat are not particularly good for dogs. You should avoid a dog food with either in it; therefore don't put corn oil on their food either.
You only need to put a tsp on the food of the olive oil, a small bottle will last a long time, it is not necessary to get the higher grade more expensive "extra virgin" olive oil either.

No comments:

Post a Comment