Thursday, July 30, 2009

My labrador retriever swallowed a needle?

She is 7 months old and she took a needle from my bed and swallowed it. What can happen?
Answers:
Sometimes its fine and the needle will pass.
However there is the chance that it may enter the wall of the stomach or intestines and then you have a MAJOR problem!
Did the needle have cotton attached? If so you need to get to a vet NOW as the cotton can become entwined around the loops of the intestines and cause serious and deadly problems.
Best to take to vet and have an xray done to see where the needle is and have them deal with the problem
she can die. call the vet now.
VET NOW!!!!!!!!!...
she could puncture any number of organs! get her to the ER NOW!!! SHE COULD DIE!!!!!!!!!...
It will shred her organs and she'll die. Call your vet NOW!!!
I don't know what can happen but lets not find out. Take your dog to the vet, and have them have an x-ray so they can see what they can do. Take your dog to the vet IMMEDIATELY!!
it could possibly die.
Depends on several things. How big was the needle? Was it a sewing needle? Did it have any thread on it? Take her to the vet, just to be sure. My dog swallowed a small sewing needle w/o thread and nothing happened. I didnt even realize it until she had an accident in the house. I stepped in it and got a very dirty sewing needle in my foot. But I was very, very, very, very lucky that nothing happened to my dog. Take her to the vet ASAP. Good luck to you and your doggy. :)
Why are you spending your time on the internet?? Call a vet NOW!
OMG OMG!!! Go to the vet!!! Now!!!
Was there thread on this needle? Check to see if the thread is around her tonque. This is a big risk. Contact the vet right away.
ARE YOU DUMB OR WUT! YOU ARE TYPING IN THINGS INSTEAAD OF TAKING YOPUR DOG TO THE VET!!! WUTS WRONG WITH YOU, YOUR DOG IS GONNA DIE!! GO NOW!!!
Take her to the vet! like NOW!
The dog can die. The needle can puncture the intestines. The dog needs to be taken to a vet ASAP.

3 comments:

  1. This happened to me also. I have a Boston Terrier 10 month old. I was preparing a custom for a play and she found the needle and ran away with it. As her habit, she tries to swallow anything you try to take from her. Anyways this happened at midnight on a Friday everything was closed so I did research online. I took her to the vet first thing in the morning (she was acting fine). To my surprise the veterinarian was not surprised and took x-rays and sure enough it was in her stomach. She told me to go home and feed her cotton balls soaked in chicken baby food (soak in milk first). This will help catch and push out the needle.
    I went back to the vet on Monday and had her x-rayed again. This time no needle!
    My advice: DON'T PANIC
    1. Take to the vet ASAP, if you can't right away-
    2. Check to see if the needle is not caught in the throat.
    3. Observe, if the dog is acting different (because you might have to take to emergency clinic)
    4. DON'T PANIC (again) my fiancé tends to panic and makes things worse.
    5. Feed cotton balls (some say not to, but it worked for me) 15 small cotton balls for a 24 lbs Boston.
    6. Get x-rays
    7. Check poop, to see if you find it. Yes searching for a needle in a pile of poop is not that fun. I didn't find it. Keep pup from playing rough.
    8. X-ray again
    9. Only through x-ray are you going to know if your pup needs surgery.
    10. Don’t let any vet take advantage of you, ask for x-rays and nothing more until you have tried passing it.
    Good luck.
    DISCLAIMER- I am not a professional just wanted to share my story, which would have been helpful that Friday night. You need to go to the vet ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my lab just swallowed a sewing needle this evening along with a thread....we took him to the vet and he made him puke too...we saw the thread but no needle came out..:( will take him for xrays tomorrow...lets c what happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 50 lb. Pit mix just swallowed a needle with no thread attached tonight. I took him to the emergency room and got an XRAY. Sure enough its in his stomach. We got an estimate for surgery and it is going to be almost 3500 dollars. Just that visit alone was over 300. We simply cannot afford surgery. Not on a credit card or even a loan. We love our dog and have no idea what to do:(

    ReplyDelete