Thursday, July 30, 2009

My little chow mix puppy is breathing heavily?

I thought at first he was just very hot, considering that me and my husband took him to the park today, so I brought him inside. The thing is, he has been inside since then (about 5 and a half hours now) and he is still panting. The really weird thing is he doesn't stick his tongue out, he is just breathing through his nose. I was wondering if this is normal behavior, since he has a very thick coat, or if I should get him checked out. I am pretty worried about him.
Another thing is, he twitches really bad in his sleep and he snores and whines.
Help?
Answers:
Dogs like Chows, or any other breeds that are brachiocephalic (what you would consider a pushed in nose), can sometimes have exercise intolerance because of how their airways are developed. It's always a possibility that he cannot tolerate that much exercise and that his trachea might slightly collapse when he does exercise. This isn't really a serious problem, just something to be aware of as an owner. Are you sure he didn't get a stick or anything else stuck in his airway possibly while he was playing earlier? If he is still breathing like that so far afterwards I might wonder about something like that. It's always possible that he's just hot, but 5 and 1/2 hours later he should have calmed down and cooled off from that. Dogs pant to cool off, just as we sweat, so if he's not panting its probably not from being hot. I would suggest getting his airways checked out just to be on the safe side.

As for the twitching in the sleep, he's dreaming. Some dogs will run, sniff, bark, whine, etc in their sleep. It's totally normal, no different then you dreaming and its nothinig to be worried about. Just think of it as something cute he does, nothing to be worried about at all.
He dreams in his sleep - dogs do that.
Maybe you got a dog that has mucous up his nose - it's not a health issue - he's probably just tired which is why he's breathing heavily - puppies get tired easily especially you took him to the park. my 9 month old still gets tired when i take him to the park and beach or just to visit friend's dogs. He would come home and sleep without eating. See if he's still doing that tomorrow, if so then take him to a vet, i would expect it to pass by then tho.
Chows are the kind of breed that will do this on occasion. Make sure he is drinking and eating and if it continues have him checked by his vet. As far as the snoring and whining in his sleep-it's a dog thing. All 4 of my dogs do it and even though it can be annoying(especially when you have a Great Dane)it is perfectly normal.
give it coke and childrens cough syrip.
I don't really know what to say about the breathing part. I would be inclined to call a vet and ask them about the dog. I wouldn't worry about the twitching in his sleep. My puppy does that too and she is dreaming of chasing bunnies or something. She snores too.

No comments:

Post a Comment