Friday, July 31, 2009

My mother has a male shitzu who is repeatedly having accidents in the house?

He is house trained, however he is getting old, my mother is living with my brother because of her medical condition. The dog "tito" is let outside all the time, but he will repeatedly come in the house and still have accidents after being outside for an hour or more, could this be an age problem, a medical problem....I need help, my mother loves this dog dearly and due to her health I am not sure how she would cope if he was no longer around. Needless to say my brother wants to do something, please help, need good advise
Answers:
Take him to the vet. They can help with medications. It's not uncommon for elderly dogs to have some incontinence and there's no reason to have to live with it. It's hard on the dog, too. Older dogs who have been housetrained their whole lives are embarassed by what's happening - he can easily be helped. If he's old, having a geriatric check up would be a good thing for him - they can catch any problems he might have while they're still treatble. Good luck with him!
it suposse to be a wild animal it needs space from everyone it belongs in the wild. outside out in the forest or at a zoo or at a petining zoo. or maybe at a wildlife area.
When you bring him back in the house, you must either crate him or keep him in your lap, don't let him have the run of the house. You could "tether" his leash to a door knob too, for out of crate time.
If he isn't running around unattended he can't pee in the floor. Don't feel sorry for him being crated or confined. he did this to himself by being naughty!!!
Good luck!
I would definitely take the dog to the vet. My elderly cockapoo started doing the same sort of thing. Before you go to the vet's office, though, I would try to harvest a urine sample. I did this by attaching a Ziploc bag in the "area" using an ace bandage and masking tape. Otherwise, you will either have to go back to the vet or they will have to use a needle to harvest the sample which is costly and painful for the dog. It turned out that my dog simply had a urinary tract infection that was easily curable with antibiotics. Many people will tell you that male dogs can't get them, but I can tell you from experience that they can.

In the meantime, something to assist with the frustration of incontinence is the use of a belly band. I've added a link to a site that sells them. I do a little sewing so I just made a few for my dog. (They're REALLY easy to make) I lined them with half a baby diaper but with a Shitzu, you could probably get away with using a large sanitary napkin.

Good luck!!!
call 911 and report the accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment