Thursday, July 30, 2009

My labbe puppy hates his collar! What should I do?

I just rescued an adorable labbe puppy (8 wks), and when i got him I put a collar on him right away (nothing fancy). He just seemed like he was a lazy pup who iched his neck alot and whined, which is normal. Then I gave him a bath and when i took the collar off he became a completly different pup! He loves to run, play, go outside, run with me and just be crazy, but the second I put it back on he sits, either in my lap or by himself, and won't play, he won't even respond to me. I've tried treats (including cheese and P.B.), toys, talking lovingly and even putting on a light ribbon around his neck to see if he didn't like the collar itself. Nothing works! Its like he has a new personality when it comes to having a collar on...a scared and depressed one. I love him so much and I hate to see him like that. Please Help!
Answers:
Just leave it on. Trust me, he'll get over it. Make sure it's not too tight and you have his ID on it. It's the best way to make sure he gets back if he's lost in the neighborhood.
I'm not sure, but my dog does the EXACT same thing! So I'll be checking back here for some answers!
sell him and get an obedient puppy
It's all about training. You must train your new dog to know that the collar is not an option. If he really is a loving dog, he will get used to it and begin to act normal all of the time. Try not taking it off for anything for a while. When the dog figures out the collar situation, he will accept it. Believe it or not, he is just testing you to see who owns who.

P.S. He may also have been abuse before and associates the collar with that behavior. But like I said just be persistent. He'll figure out the difference is in the owner and not in the collar.
He's a puppy and not used to wearing a collar. He'll get used to it. In the mean time, make sure the collar fits since his neck is getting bigger. Maybe have it one notch looser than you would if he were an adult.
My cats sometimes behave the same way when I put a harness on them.
Try a harness instead of a collar ! The Harness goes on the body and doesn't bother the neck like a collar does ! Some dogs just don't like a collar around the neck ! Mine would stratch her neck and hurt herself real bad cause of a collar, it bugged her and made her itch so the vet said she can't use one to get a choker instead but i think a Harness would be better and you can still walk them with it as it has the link for a leash too . Only differnce is its goes around the body instead of the neck! Good luck wit your new puppy ! Also with my other dogs i don't leave a collar on them in the house at all , they don't need it sense they stay inside and only go out in to a fenced in yard sometimes ! I only use it when i need to like for a walk or a car trip ... !
Give hime time. I have a 3 month old lab puppy and it took about two weeks for him to quit scratching at it. At first I only put it on him for a few minutes and slowly work my way up until he was used to it.
Puppies typically struggle with the collar issue, not a lot to do but give it time. I suggest keeping it loose (as long as you're not taking him for a walk) so he feels more comfortable. Also, try and associate a collar with a good thing, like walks! Of course, he'll stuggle to understan why you don't take him bye-bye everytime, but he'll be a lot happier.
most importantly though, don't take it off! keep it loose, and tighten when needed.
Don't worry, he's not going to be a "bad dog", he's just a silly puppy.
Good luck, and update!
TOUGH SHI* what it doesn't" WIKE "!!!
It's a damn dog!
A SPOILED ***ROTTEN**** PUP!!

LEAVE it's collar ON! TIGHT enough for ONLY **2 fingers***to slide under %26 IGNORE the BRAT'S stupid tantrums!
ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
What ELSE are you gonna let it get away with?
BITING? Cuz you don't wanna hurt it's wittle FEEWINGS???
GROW UP,get some GUTS %26 ***TRAIN*** it!

1 comment:

  1. wow philip! you sound like quite the DOUCHEBAG! I feel terrible for any pets you own, EVER!

    ReplyDelete