Friday, July 31, 2009

My Neighbors dog won't stop barking!?

Listen people, if you have a dog that you allow to be outside, or stands by an open screen door and does nothing all day but BARK BARK BARK, you are next to THE lowest form of life.

I'm ready to strangle the owner of this dog and then the dog.

So the question is, how do you tell someone to shut their #@(#@* dog up?

Should I call the police? It's in the middle of the day, people are running saws and stuff like that - yet for some reason it's this repetative constant barking that is driving me totally insane. Both my other neighbors are plotting to have the dog kidnapped, jokingly, like some of you may have seen in the Seinfeld episode. :)

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I really believe people like this must not have a clue as to how annoying they truly are, and are the 2nd to lowest forms of human life on this planet. Truly selfish people.
Answers:
Got a hose? My neighbors leave there out there to bark too. I have five dogs and when they are done they sit on the porch (till somebody comes along for them to bark at) I have to let them right back in because of my neighbors dog raising hell mine want to eat theirs. Well anyway when they won't get theirs in and mine need to go out I stand with the hose and shoot it between the slats in my privacy fence.
throw him some food, bone something this should shut him up for a while
I have got the EXACT same problem , people can't walk past the gate without it running after them barking like a loony !
I think you should phone , it should be inside at night , my neighbour doesn't take hers in either !
GO ON !
PHONE THEM !
You have my sympathy. You need to check out the noise and nuisance laws in your jurisdiction. Try talking to the neighbors and if that doesn't work call the police. File as many reports as it takes before they finally do something. If they are oblivious to the police calls AND the police stop showing up for your calls---file a complaint at the police station. Get copies of all your police reports. Finally, if all else fails---sue them in small claims court.
You need to go speak with these people. I understand that is difficult because their reaction may be, 'screw you'. And then if you do ever call the police they will know it was you.
The neighbor thing to do is talk to them. Kind of gush on them a bit (also known as blowing smoke up their bum) and ask them to do something about the dog.
You cannot blame the owner. However much some people try.. a dog will bark if it wants/needs to. Thankfully I have a wonderful dalmatian that barks only very rarely and neighbors that hate animals!
Give the dog a big piece of tree bark. That will at least keep him quiet for a while. I have a dog that lives behind my house and the dog does the same thing. I got mad and picked the dog up and put it in my yard. The dog stopped barking and I got my work done. Later the neighbor thinks his dog jumped the fence and keeps him inside. Ha, I win. I love dogs, but some PEOPLE haven't got a clue.
Put one of these as close as you can to your neighbor's yard. They work and they won't harm the dog. This worked for me and my neighbor never knew about a thing.

BTW, the police won't respond unless it's after 10 PM and then you have to prove the dog has been barking non stop for a 1/2 hour or more. Try the SPCA or your local animal control. They may send an officer to see if the dog is being neglected.
The council should be able to do something if you can find the right person they may ask you to keep records of the noise or measure the sound level before taking further action, if a few neighbours complain its usually better - I had this problem once %26 just got verbal abuse when I aproached them if theyre ignorant enough to leave the dog out barking I wouldnt bother with them directly.
PS I wouldnt advise strangling the neighbour but if you must please leave the dog alone as he really doesnt know any better :-)
well first of all talk to your neighbor nicely. just say look i'm sorry to bring this up but work from home and your dog is interupting moy conferance calls during the day is there any way you can keep him in side from say 11-3. that wwould be a nice way to handle in, couse if you go over and be nasty she will get nasty back, us dog owners are like that. you can can the police but as long as it's during the day and he is not breaking and noise ordances( which are sound levels in decibals) which is almost impossible, the cops will tell you pretty much do deal will it. so you will end up frusterated. which isn't fair to you. but i was on the other end of the fence not so long ago, i was kennel training my puppy to sleep in the kennel so she wouldn't get in to everything and she would cry all night long, i honestly didn't thimk my neighbor could hear it through the fire wall and i really didn't want a dog in my bed with me and my husband, but after acouple months she nice brought it up in conversation. i was mortified. i quickly fixed the situation gave up on the kennel and let her sleep next to my bed upstairs. my neighbor will never hear her crying again. talking with her could fix the solution easy. some times we just don't relise it just say something and she will probablly correct it right away. if she is a B about, well kidnapp the dog:) good luck i hope you find the solution:)
I understand your pain, but then I have a large dog that barks too. The only time she barks is when other peoples dogs are running loose by our fence. So becareful before you confront the owners of the dog, it maynot be all the dogs fault. There are laws about dogs in city limits and so forth, but they are civil matters and most police departments won't get involved!
I hear ya! Some people just either have no idea their dogs are barking, constantly or they just don't care.

You'll definately have to bring this to the owners' attention. I don't know what kind of people your neighbours are, if they are nice types, try talking to them directly. If they're likely to have an attitude, then call the local council in your area (in Australia, that who we call and they send the "dog guy" out).

Relentless barking is a major problem and it's not the dog's fault.I'd say the poor bugger is bored out of his mind.

I hope you get this resolved. It really isn't a pleasant sound to hear, regardless of what you're doing.

2 comments:

  1. OMG... surely you are not that clueless.
    It's not always possible for an owner to make a dog stop barking!
    I have a Labrador who I have done EVERYTHING to keep him from annoying my neighbors. I bring him in & put him in his kennel in the garage at night, but as soon as he goes out the next morning the dog starts barking again!
    Training didn't work. Shock collars are cruel.
    So what am I supposed to do, genius?
    Euthanize the dog so he doesn't bother you??
    Seriously, since you think I am the LOWEST form of life and you seem to have it all figured out, I'm curious to see just what you would suggest...
    NOT Selfish; just EXTREMELY frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. give the damn dog away (to the comment above)
    seriously, dont own an animal who does this, the reason hes barking so much is because he hates his life, give him a new life with someone else or let him run around in the country some where. give your neighbors some peace!

    I dont wanna here barkarkabakrbajrbakrbakbrkabrkabrkb alllllll day long!

    ReplyDelete